Friday 14 October 2016

MISCELLANEOUS MUSINGS



MISCELLANEOUS MUSINGS

OK I am actually at home now, got here on Thursday 13 October (yesterday afternoon) but I have not caught up on my blog.  Small wonder – Saturday at noon I was on the Alberta border and spent a lot of time in the saddle those last few days!

I intend to post at least two more entries but wanted to put a couple notes here before I forget them.  Again.  As I am driving along these many lonely miles, I sometimes think of witty things to write in my blog.  Of course, since I am driving there is no chance of writing them down, and no I do not have blue teeth so I can record every breathless bit of excitement into some kind of onboard data storage nanny.  In other words if I forget my thoughts, they are vanished in the haze as the Beatles once sang.

I fully intended, when I wrote the bit about THE wedding, that I had forgotten, if I ever did know, that the three lads (Marc the groom, Phil the older brother and Luc the younger brother) are very musical indeed.  Now I have seen Phil play with his stick and beat his skin from time to time so I knew that he is a drummer.  I don’t think I ever saw Marc or Luc play an instrument but both of them are strummers and all three have good voices.  


 So anyways all this to say that one of the highlights of the reception was when Luc played the mandolin and sang “Fools Rush In” for Michelle and Marc’s first dance.  It was a masterful performance and brought tears to the eyes of a few folks present, myself included.  All those many years ago, that was the first tune for our own wedding reception………….and for my buddy Marcel, this was a song that his late parents used to sing in harmony.  It was just splendid.







How about a wedding day photo?







And I am not at all certain that I mentioned that the outfitters for our jet boat adventure are primarily eco-tourist outfitters.  People come from all over the place to travel the Athabasca, see the wildlife, experience the pristine wilderness, and learn about the fascinating history of this river and the region.  Darcy’s father had been a hunting outfitter and trapper for years in this location, but they sold the outfitter moose licences to another fellow who started an operation below (above) them, as in not so far away from the town but still mighty pristine.  So we were quite literally in The Middle of Nowhere, with no other operations downstream (North of us) at all at this time of year.  Darcy and Shirley decided a couple years ago to just add a hunt or two at the end of the eco-tourist season to help balance the books.  And for this unique opportunity I am quite thankful – since I don’t see myself doing the eco-tourist thing to have this same chance to see this part of the country.  This is not a paid announcement!!!  But they have a pretty good website which showcases their primary business of bringing folks out into the wilderness as eco-tourists.  Here it is:

They are very good people and I hope they can make a good go of this.  Right now it is a part-time venture during their days off from other work.  It is truly an amazing place and is exactly what they advertise, ie a wilderness adventure.

 

In the fullness of time I will read back through my blog entries and see what else I neglected to mention.  The next couple entries will be my AWESOME waterfowl hunt around Lloydminster SK and then my harrowing trip home.  And maybe now I am home I can figure out this whole picture posting thing, which has been driving me NUTS.  (Yes I know it is a short drive)

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment