Sunday 28 August 2016

THE BLACK CLOUD MOVES DOWN-ISLAND

So when I last typed up an entry for this blog, we had returned to Campbell River (CR) with our booty of one spring salmon and five vermilion rockfish.  The plan was to hang around in CR, maybe get out for another try for salmon, then I would head down to Sooke to meet up with some old friends.  We got back to CR on Sunday evening, leaving Jamie’s boat at his house, along with some of our gear as it later turned out.  Monday morning Jamie called, with news that some friend had boated a boodle of big beautiful salmon on Sunday, and would we like to go out fishing RIGHT NOW!?!?  Neither Marcel nor I felt up to the challenge of a long day in the boat, Jamie never being keen to return to port until darkness is arriving.  Or later.  So we declined his kind offer, but gave him a hand to launch his boat again and he had in the meantime invited his lady friend to accompany him, which was just fine by us.  Marcel and I took the opportunity to smoke and can some coho and the rockfish from the trip, pleased indeed when every single jar sealed properly.  (Yes I KNOW they call it CANNING, but one uses JARS not CANS, I am not responsible for this nomenclature.)  We had a lovely supper and a pleasant evening, and turned in early.

In the meantime, as we later learned, Jamie had encountered some gnarly weather, had travelled quite some distance trying out various spots, had caught one or two fish but nothing to write home about, and then got surprised when darkness fell earlier than it did in say June.  So he was out on the ocean in the dark and headed for shore at full speed, when suddenly a light that had seemed to be part of the skyline blasted a horn three times and turned on all of its deck lights.  In fact it was not the skyline, it was a large barge, dead ahead and closing quickly.  Jamie averted disaster and got back to port quite some time after dark.  Marcel and I were both quite thankful we had not been aboard for this adventure........

..........but we wanted one last kick at the can before I departed CR, so we made plans and preparations to head out the next day in Marcel’s boat, which is at a CR marina not very distant from his home.  It took some time to actually reach the boat, however, since we needed to retrieve one of Marcel’s downrigger rods from Jamie’s home, across the city, then it turned out the PFDs were still at Marcel’s, then we needed to pick up some fuel...........but by the crack of noon we were back out on the water, rigging for salmon.  The winds and tides being what they were, there was one small bay that was somewhat sheltered and a known hotspot for salmon this time of year.  Seems that everybody else knew that tidbit, and we saw sixteen boats in quite a small patch of water – including a bunch of boats from Painter’s Lodge, said boats not being known for expert handling nor common courtesy out on the briny.  Neither of us wanted to be part of a gong show, so we headed to another spot not far distant, where we set up to fish.  Except that one of Marcel’s releases was somewhere else............so we could fish with one rod down, or make a run to a marina in the same general area, which we did.  Customer service at said marina is not one of their strong points, and only half an hour after we tied up alongside, I was able to purchase a downrigger release from the unenthusiastic staff member who had come down to the (locked) store so I could buy said release.

And now armed with two releases, we set up repeatedly in search of salmon, or heck, anything that might bite.  This was not to be, and we wrapped it up to head back home.  Supper that evening was pizza from Pizza Hut, yum yum, and we discussed the next day’s schedule.  For sure, it was time for me to leave CR and head south,

The next morning I did some laundry, re-rigged the camper, and set off down the island highway towards Comox.  There I visited my old buddy Bill, and finally met his lovely wife Maureeen, and we had a grand visit for an hour or two, then it was time to be off again for a visit to family members in Parksville.  I asked Bill the best way to get to Parksville, and he suggested I take the SCENIC route, which would surely land me in Parksville in under an hour, and therefore on time to meet my next victims.

I KNOW better than to follow somebody’s directions for a scenic route, when there is a highway alternative................

...........but instead I followed said directions for the scenic route, which included fighting through downtown traffic until the road was blocked, on a blind downhill curve, by a police cruiser directing all traffic down a small road.  There was absolutely no place to turn around, and so there I was with stopped traffic as far as the eye could see, and the clock ticking for my next visit.  A couple hours later, I was finally at my next destination, that being the home of Mike and Colleen, who are family on my father’s side.  We had a good visit, and at Mike’s urging I also called my folks back in London Ontario to catch up a bit with them.  Then it was time to hit the road again for Nanaimo and my intended evening stop-over.

And I FORGOT to take pictures of Marcel and Diane, Bill and Maureen, and Mike and Colleen, so no pics for this blog entry, sorry.

I had reserved a spot at “Living Forests Ocenaside RV Resort and Campground” or some similar name, in Nanaimo, based on a recommendation from the Woodall’s Guide about where to camp in North America.  So far I would say Woodall’s is batting less than .500...........and after driving all the way around the park, I finally located the very well hidden site to which I was assigned, on a cleverly concealed switchback behind the pit toilets.  So I made camp, detected the fact there was no wifi at this quite expensive campground, and had a lovely supper of left-over pizza and a couple glasses of bingo, and enjoyed quite a good sleep back in my camper after a week and a half or so of sleeping elsewhere.

Next stop was to visit some friends in Victoria, who had suggested we meet at such-and-such a municipal parking garage, but once they understood the dimensions of my rig they directed me to a parking lot at a shopping mall, which was a MUCH better choice.  I met them there without major incident, got the rig parked, and off we went to some place in downtown Victoria.  Gord and Kim have been here for about ten years, and both are now retired and enjoying the change of pace.  We had a grand lunch, and a highly enjoyable visit, and I neglected to take their picture also.  At one point I inquired about Victoria traffic, rush hour, and such, and was assured that there was hardly any traffic and all was well.  Now, these folks live in a condo right downtown and so don’t drive much, and certainly not at 4 pm, so I surely do not blame them for the stop and go traffic that was my reality for the next hour or so.  I finally turned off for Sooke, with hardly a whisker of traffic, and breathed much easier.  Right up until I started driving the twisting, turny, hilly road out to Sooke, in the process thereof depriving perhaps a hundred would-be Mario Andretti’s from doing their thing behind the wheels of their much faster and more manoeuverable vehicles.  I finally spotted a decent place to get off the road, whereupon I was passed by quite a parade of folks, some of whom waved with all of their fingers.  From there it was a short drive to the magnificent home of old friends Scott and Anne-Marie.

That was a few days ago and I have had an outstanding visit, but my thumbs are worn right down to nubbins again, and it seems that the NEXT entry should portray the fine fishing and wonderful reunion that have taken up my time since that arrival.

And it would appear that The Black Cloud that had hovered over Campbell River, Nootka Sound and the Living Forests Emporium and Camper Maze disappeared somewhere south of Nanaimo.............

Until the next time.........

1 comment:

  1. Nice seeing this through your eyes, Doug. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete